Bell's Sustainability Mission
Bell works to foster an environment of corporate responsibility in all areas of its business. Through its environmental efforts, product solutions and island conservation practices, Bell strives to create sustainable practices wherever possible. All of this is accomplished in a manner that will not affect the integrity of its products.
In keeping with its philosophy of leading the market in technology and innovation, Bell Laboratories, Inc. fully embraces the concepts of environmental responsibility. We have implemented numerous ongoing programs to examine and improve our procedures, systems, material use, and facilities so as to create not only practices, but also an attitude of environmental and social responsibility.
Some examples of Bell's ongoing environmental focus programs:
- A Waste Minimization Program is in place for all stages of the manufacturing process to continually examine and implement methods to reduce overall waste as well as the potential for waste.
- All black bait stations are made with 100% recycled materials.
- All excess and unused packaging is recycled.
- All wooden shipping pallets are recycled.
- We are in the process of implementing high efficiency lighting throughout our office, research and production areas.
- Inspections have been conducted with our local power company to audit energy use and find and evaluate areas for implementing improvements.
- Our packaging supplier, Menasha Packaging, recycles all of its ink and is certified by both the Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI). Most recently, Menasha installed 5 wind turbines that help supply energy to its Neenah, WI facility.
- All of our corrugated master boxes include 40% recycled content.
Wisconsin Business Friend of the Environment Award
Given by the Wisconsin Environmental Working Group, the Business Friend of the Environment Awards highlight what Wisconsin companies are doing in the areas of pollution prevention, innovative technology and environmental stewardship. The goal of this awards program is to demonstrate to state policymakers, businesses and the public that sound environmental practices are good for Wisconsin and its business environment. Winners are selected by an independent judging panel with representatives from the industry, the Department of Natural Resources, and the University of Wisconsin-Extension.
2007 - Bell Laboratories was honored with the Wisconsin Friend of the Environment Award in Environmental Stewardship for its work in developing a unique bait that successfully eradicated devastating rat populations on Anacapa Island, off the coast of southern California. The prestigious award recognizes companies that set the standard for good environmental citizenship in Wisconsin.
2009 - Bell was privileged to be the recipient of the Wisconsin Friend of the Environment Award from the Wisconsin Environmental Working groups in recognition of its environmental innovation efforts. Bell was singled out for its participation in the Aleutian Seabird Restoration Project on Rat Island in Alaska's Aleutian Islands chain. The award acknowledges companies that demonstrate sound environmental practices that are good for Wisconsin's environment and its economy.
2011 - Bell Laboratories was honored recently with the 2011 Wisconsin Business Friend of the Environment Award from the Wisconsin Environmental Working Group for developing a specialized bait used to eradicate invasive rats on the Galápagos Islands.